While tea can be steeped almost as simply as one likes, there is a unique pleasure in having the right tool for the job, and this tea set provides just that, with everything you need to aid in performing gongfu cha, even on a ceremonial level. All the items are made from one or two pieces of hand-carved bamboo, with a distinctive noded style that lends them a cultivated rustic aesthetic and makes them easier to hold.
The five-piece set includes:
- bamboo tongs, for grasping large tea leaves and holding gongfu cups for rinsing in a classic gongfu cha ceremony;
- a tea needle for clearing clogged teapot spouts, especially narrow yixing spouts;
- a narrow spoon for scooping fine leaves or, moreover, powdered teas like matcha, and it can also be used to clear used leaves from a teapot or gaiwan;
- a small rest to lay any of the first three tools upon;
- and a large tea holder to display dry leaves for appreciation and funnel into a brewing vessel, like a tea lotus, and to hold the other tools when not in use.
Similar Bamboo Tongs can be purchased alone.